Strategic market analysis, research and information for high tech business-to-business professionals. Providing online advertising, marketing, social media and industry event intelligence, plus statistics and strategies critical to success in a dynamic technology marketplace.
FRAMINGHAM, Mass. May 16, 2013 – Android and iOS, the number one and number two ranked smartphone operating systems (OS) worldwide, combined for 92.3% of all smartphone shipments during the first quarter of 2013 (1Q13) as Windows Phone crept past BlackBerry for 3rd place. According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, Android smartphone vendors and Apple shipped a total of 199.5 million units worldwide during 1Q13, up 59.1% from the 125.4 million units shipped during 1Q12.
HTML5 is the latest iteration of the standard used by web programmers and developers. When completed in 2014, it will enable developers to write-once-run-anywhere (WORA) for consistent, cross-platform experiences across all operating systems and browsers. For example, a developer could create a single application with identical performance across Facebook, iPhone, Android, BlackBerry or any other mobile platform. Developers like the cross-platform compatibility and users appreciate real-time access to applications via their browser, without a download. By 2015, IDC predicts rapid adoption:
To measure just how important mobile is, IDG Global Solutions surveyed more than 21, 000 IT, business, and consumer users worldwide. To learn about content consumption, popular applications, and device preferences, click to download the white paper
Microsoft may have a lot riding on its tablet versions of the Windows 8 operating system, but one market researcher thinks the odds are against them. This is not your grandfather’s PC market, London-based Generator Research declares in new forecasts that see tablet shipments doubling from 120 million units shipped in 2012 to 250 million in 2016.
The problem for Microsoft and for hardware makers, analyst Andrew Sheehy writes, is that tablet hardware does not follow the patterns of the traditional portable markets. For two decades it has been all about hardware — making it smaller, faster, lighter but more robust in speed and storage. This simply is not the case with the tablet. “[It] requires that vendors come to market with an overall proposition that encompasses digital content, apps and supporting services,” Generator writes. This is not a strong suit of the Dells and HPs, nor arguably is it a strength of the dominant PC OS provider Microsoft.
Apple squeezed as smartphone sector grows at slowest rate since end of 2009, but together with Samsung makes up half of world sales. Google’s Android mobile operating system tightened its grip on the smartphone market in the second quarter of 2012, making up 68.1% of the 154m shipments worldwide, according to the research company IDC.
Overall, the smartphone market grew at 42.2%, meaning that Android and Microsoft’s Windows Phone were the only platforms which grew faster than the overall market. Shipments of Apple’s iPhone grew by 27.5% to 26m, not enough to maintain its share from last year of 18.8%; its share fell to 16.9%. But overall the market remains a two-horse race, with the two principal platforms – Android and iOS - making up 85% of the market, with the remaining 15% shared between four main platforms.
FRAMINGHAM - Apple’s OS X Mountain Lion is off to a solid start in its first 48 hours and now powers more than 3% of all Macs, an online advertising network said today. Chitika, which regularly mines its ad impression data for trends in operating system and browser usage, reported Friday that two days after its introduction, OS X Mountain Lion accounted for 3.2% of all versions of Apple’s operating system. OS X 10.6, aka Snow Leopard, retained the top spot in Chitika’s ranking with a 45.5% share, while Lion, or version 10.7, accounted for 35%. In an email touting its findings, Chitika characterized Mountain Lion’s 3.2% as “rather impressive,” and predicted that the new OS would “do much better” than its 2011 predecessor, Lion.
MIAMI – Microsoft kicked off its TechEd North America conference with a wide-ranging keynote session that was short on “wow” news but heavy on positioning for Windows Server 2012, Windows Azure and server-side products as key components of what the company is calling “the era of the cloud OS.” Organizations need server tools and operating systems in their data centers that can deliver and support a wide variety of Internet-connected devices and of always-on Web applications, said SatyaNadella, president of Microsoft’s Server & Tools division. These new requirements offer organizations and their IT departments “a huge opportunity to reinvent ourselves,” said Nadella, who led the 90-minute keynote and was assisted by several Microsoft staffers who gave demos of Windows Server, Azure, SQL Server 2012 and other products.